Skip to main content

How Sick is Too Sick?

Academy District 20 follows the latest guidance from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) regarding the evaluation of a sick child and whether or not the child should attend school.

View the latest guidance from CDPHE.

Prescription Medications

All prescription medications must be checked into the health room by a parent/legal guardian.  Students cannot bring medication themselves. The medication must be accompanied by a Permission to Administer Medication form, filled out and signed by the doctor and parent/guardian.

All prescription medication must come in the original packaging with the prescription label attached (no zip lock bags, plastic boxes etc.). The prescription label must match the information on the Permission to Administer Medication form: same medication and form of medication (tablet/liquid), same dose, same time, same person (ie: we can’t accept medication prescribed for another family member). 

Liquid medication must have an implement for administration which can be used to measure exact dose (medication cup, spoon, syringe etc.)

Medications for allergies and asthma must be checked in to the health room, and be accompanied by an allergy care plan/asthma care plan. These plans are standard state plans which include the medication order, so there is no need for a separate Permission to Administer Medication form for these medications. These forms must be completed by your child’s health care provider, and signed by parent/guardian as well. 

There are also Health Care Plans for Seizure Disorder and Diabetes form.  If your child has one of these conditions, please take the appropriate forms to your health care provider for completion and signature, and bring the form(s) in with the medication when school starts up. Like the forms for allergy and asthma, these forms also include doctor’s orders, so a Permission to Administer Medication form is not necessary. 

Emergency Allergy and Asthma Medication

High School students can self-carry epi pens and inhalers at school, but we must have a health care plan signed by the doctor and parent on file (new plan each school year). These plans are standard state plans which include the medication order, so there is no need for a separate Permission to Administer Medication form for these medications. These health care plans are found on the ASD20 website.

It is strongly recommended to have back-up medication in the health room in case a student’s self-carried medication can’t be found. 

The self-carry medication must also be in the original packaging (box for inhaler and epi pen) with the prescription label on.  We need to know that the medication is indeed prescribed for that student, and be able to get it back to the right student if it is lost.

Over the Counter (OTC) Medications

Regular over the counter (OTC), FDA approved, medications like Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen can be accepted at the school nurse’s discretion without a doctor’s order. The parent/guardian must bring in the medication (not the student), and fill out a Permission to Administer Medication form and sign it. The medication must be in original containers with the dosage instructions attached.  The medication must be for children, with dosing instructions for children on the packaging. We can administer the medication according to the dosing instructions on the packaging only, and parent will always be called before this medication is administered. 

Medication must not expire before June of the current school year.

All medications must be picked up by the last day of school and cannot be stored over the summer. Medications left after this day will be disposed of. 

Immunization Information

Every student must have an up to date immunization record on file with Academy District 20, with all state required immunizations.

Required immunizations can be found on the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) website.

Non-medical Immunization Exemptions

If your student has a non-medical exemption for one or more vaccines, a new Immunization Exemption form must be submitted to the school each school year.  The Immunization Exemption process must be done through the Colorado Department of Health and Human Services website. Non-Medical exemption form must either be signed by the child’s health care provider which also must be authorized to administer immunizations, or the parent must complete an educational module on the CDPHE website before being able to fill out and sign the exemption form.  Please save/print the form and submit to the school, as there is no system in place that alerts the school when an exemption form is completed on the CDPHE website. Please be aware that this must be done after June 30th every year.  Forms are not valid for the coming school year if they are signed before July 1 of the upcoming school year.

Visit the CDPHE website to complete the exemption process.

Medical immunization exemptions

If your student is exempt from immunizations for a medical reason, the Medical Exemption form must be filled out and signed by your student’s doctor.  This form only needs to be submitted once during your student’s K-12 career, unless anything changes with the exemption.

Vision & Hearing Screenings

These are done for all students according to state guidelines. The vision screening done at school is a basic acuity test, and it is recommend that all children over the age of 3 receive yearly eye exams with an eye specialist in addition to the school screening. Please contact the school nurse if insurance is a problem. Also, if you suspect a hearing problem, please let your school nurse know and, if indicated, a more thorough exam can be arranged with the district audiologist. If you do not want your child to be screened at school for either vision and/or hearing, notify the school nurse in writing/email in advance of your school’s screening date and supply a copy of your child’s latest report from his/her doctor.

Emergency Care at School

If your student is injured or becomes ill at school, he/she will be sent to the office. Some schools do not have a full-time nurse, and office personnel will handle these needs when necessary. If your child has a specific health problem that needs special follow-up and attention, please inform the office. 

911 will be called for any life threatening emergency.

Please check that your contact information (phone numbers and e-mail) in Infinite Campus is correct, so that we will be able to reach you if needed.