FUN FACTS – A Birds-eye View of the Growing Pains
- District 20 was founded in 1874 and was the twentieth district to be established in El Paso County.
- At one time there were 65 school districts in El Paso County. Presently, there are 15.
- The one-room Edgerton School was the first school in District 20 situated on a mesa above the confluence of Monument and West Monument Creeks in the community of Edgerton that was located on what is now Air Force Academy property.
- Woodmen School located on West Woodmen Road was built during the summer of 1915 at the cost of $1800. It replaced Edgerton School. Both of these schools educated students in grades one through six, sometimes going up to grade eight.
- The struggling Woodmen District 20 submitted a petition to the County Superintendent on April 30, 1956 requesting to be “detached from Woodmen School District 20 in El Paso County, Colorado and annexed to Colorado Springs District 11.” The petition was withdrawn on May 1, 1956 because of the growing possibility that Black Forest could be annexed to District 20.
- On February 28, 1957, the original District 20 merged with the Air Force Academy and the Black Forest growing from 36 square miles to 130.
- Howard Dunning, the former superintendent of Victor-Cripple Creek School District, was hired on August 20, 1957 to be the first District 20 superintendent.
- On September 3, 1957, Air Academy School District 20 opened as a newly formed district with three schools instead of one (Air Academy High School and Woodmen and Black Forest Elementary Schools); and for the first time in history, it served students in kindergarten through Grade 12.
- In 1957, the first indoor toilets in the district were installed at old Woodmen School.
- In 1957, the heat in the Woodmen School was converted from coal to gas allowing the empty furnace room to be used as a much-needed classroom.
- Original, the water source for the Woodmen School came from a well and was retrieved with a hand pump located on the playground.